Track lighting is a method of lighting in which light fixtures are attached on a continuous track device containing electrical conductors. It is typically used for highlighting a room’s best features.
Before we look at how to use track lighting, let’s check out some of the main advantages it offers.
Advantages of Track Lighting
- Versatility – Track lighting offers a great deal of versatility, allowing flexibility not only in size but also in position. As far as styling is concerned, you have a wide range of choices at your disposal.
- Suitability – Because of the various styling options available, track lighting can be used not only in a kitchen, a hallway, or a study, but also in a living room.
- Contemporary Touch – Track lighting often lends a contemporary touch to the surroundings, making it a perfect choice for those starting a new home project or remodeling their home.
- Perfect for accenting – This form of lighting is ideal for accenting certain areas or features of the room, such as display units, shelving, or object d’ Track lighting also proves handy when you require a lot of light in a certain area to work under.
- Replace present ceiling fittings without rewiring – Last but not the least, track lighting allows you replace existing ceiling fittings without any rewiring. It is particularly useful if the room has a high ceiling. That’s because it looks fine in case the fitting is suspended, which is rarely the case with normal or regular fittings.
How to use track lighting
When one says track lighting, many people picture an 80’s sitcom bachelor pad. So is track lighting outdated?
Its DIY usefulness can’t be denied. Also, today it is available in any number of styles.
Here are some useful tips to use track lighting.
Certain areas of a corridor can appear dark when you only use ceiling mounted light fittings. While to some extent wall mounted lights can help fix this issue, they are not 100% effective.
So what’s the way out, you might ask.
The answer is LED track lighting. If you want a uniform level of light throughout your corridor, consider using track lighting. What’s more, this type of lighting can also help you display wall art in your corridor; simply angle the lights to bring the images in focus.
Bedroom Accent Walls
Lighting is used in bedrooms to create a subdued atmosphere. As such, track lighting doesn’t appear to be an obvious choice for bedrooms. All the same, more and more people are now using it for their sleeping quarters.
The trick lies in using the light source indirectly. By pointing the light sources on a display cabinet or at a wall, you can accent it in such a way that the light gets reflected back into the bedroom.
It would be best if you invest in a track lighting system, since that way you’ll be able to control the lighting level at will.
No longer is track lighting only about parallel forms and straight lines. You can easily shape a track lighting system to work seamlessly well in rooms that are irregularly proportioned.
Are you struggling to evenly light up a kitchen application? Then consider track lighting.
When you use one or two fittings, you may end up with shadows being cast on certain parts, regardless of how bright those fittings are. Multiple light sources on a track mounting eradicate this problem. For this reason, kitchen track lighting is one thing that’s becoming increasingly popular.
Don’t like track lightings suspended from ceilings? Wondering how to make track lighting good?
One solution is to mount them on exposed beams or walls. High-roofed structures with their structural A-frames on show are extremely well-suited for this type of lighting.
Useful as track lighting is, it has its shares of problems. Let’s take a look at them.
Disadvantages of Track Lighting
- May Look Clunky – Sometimes, especially if you have a ceiling fan in the room, the track lighting and additional hardware may make your ceiling look like an unbalanced mess of electrical fixtures.
- Fixtures May cost More – in comparison to other fixtures, track lighting is a tad bit on the expensive side.
Track lighting has much going for it. It can help you highlight a room’s best features. You can use them in corridors, kitchens, work areas, and even bedrooms.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is track lighting used for?
This type of lighting system is typically used to highlight a room’s best features. Homeowners use track lighting to spotlight decorative pieces, or pieces of furniture or pieces of art.
- How does track lighting system work?
There are two parts to a track lighting system. The first part is the track. It is wired to power and holds the conductors. And the other part is the lamp.
- Is track lighting bright enough?
Yes, it is. This type of setup is ideal for long, narrow areas. Track lighting is bright enough that you won’t require any other lighting fixture. You can also point the individual lamps at wall hangings to highlight them.
- Can you replace track lighting heads?
Yes, you can. You can refresh a track lighting system by swapping out the track heads. However, make sure the new lights are for the same style track.