Explaining all the LED terminology

Sometimes with all the terminology flying around, it can be quite confusing, we’re here to help. 

Over time, multiple different technical names have been created in the lighting industry – these words and although they might be super useful for those who know what they mean, they can just be super confusing for everybody else.

Below we have listed the most used words in the lighting world, use it as you wish – memorise and revise so they’re stuck in your brain, or bookmark this page and refer back to it when you need it.

Terminology list

All you need to understand lighting terminology

Accent lighting – Lighting used to emphasise a particular space or object, used to bring attention to it. Think in art galleries, accent lighting is used all the time for particular paintings and exhibits.

Ambient lighting – Just the name given to the general lighting in the area, this can also refer to the amount of daylight in the room. Usually, you consider the ambient lighting and build up the other parts of lighting around this.

Daylight harvesting – When a lighting design uses the natural daylight as part of the design. This can really reduce energy consumption Floodlight – Used to light up an object or scene so that it’s much brighter than its surroundings.

Maintained lighting – Lighting that is designed to be continuously lit, even in the event of power failure. So, emergency lighting – which can be used for multiple different things.

Non-maintained lighting – These won’t stay on during a power-cut, basically the opposite to maintained lighting.

Task lighting – The lighting which is added to assist people in a certain task. Office lamps are the best example of this, but there are so many examples.

DALI – Stands for Digitally Addressable Lighting Interface. This is a digital system that allows you to control your lighting from a computer. Used in commercial settings quite often.

Dimmable – Some lamps allow the Lumens to be increased and decreased. This is a great way to reduce energy consumption. IK – Stands for Impact Protection, this measures the degree of protection that your electrical equipment. The higher the rating the better.

UGR – Means Unified Glare Rating and it measures the glare (the visual discomfort you feel when confronted with excessive brightness). The lower the rating of the UGR, the better. The higher the rating, the more likely you are to notice a visible distraction.

PIR – A Passive Infrared Sensor. You know those garden lights which turn on when somebody walks nearby? This is what does that. It radiates wavelengths, and when it detects heat energy or movement, it is triggered and turns up. Perfect for security measures.

Watt – A watt is a unit of electrical power. Basically, they represent the rate at which they consume the energy.

Lumen – Used to describe just how much illumination your bulb will provide you with.

Lux – Used to describe the intensity of the light being emitted. This differs from Lumen as it takes into consideration the area that it reaches.

We hope this helps you. If you're looking for the perfect bulb, no matter your requirements (or the terminology used to find it), you can find it by clicking here. 

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.